Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Pink Floyd members discuss recording "Money"




      Pink Floyd was and is one of the most influential and experimental bands of all time.  Personally, I love Floyd’s music and their fearless approach to creating timeless pieces of art.  I found this video on You Tube that walked through the creation of the song “Money” from Dark side of the Moon.  Rodger Waters, the bands forming member and co-creative force, created a loop of sounds, which yielded a rhythmic effect to the opening of the song.  He recorded the sounds of change, a cash register, ripping paper, and spliced them together against the 7/8 time signature.  I thought it was amazing that they sent the tape around a mic stand then through the tape machine.  Equally amazing is how all of this editing was done on tape.  You would think with today’s digital editing advancements, engineers would choose to use these techniques more.  I feel like the creativity level one achieves from having to use and edit tape has taken a back seat to the ease to digital editing.  I think decisions are made quickly due to the ease of editing and this doesn’t leave much time for experimentation and discovery.  In the video, David Gilmour mutes out the other tracks so you can hear some of the layers that made up the intro of “Money” mostly from the guitar standpoint.  You can hear how the layers helped support each other to make a much larger piece and they all were designed to fit the loop created by Roger Waters.  I hope to see more analogue techniques used in the digital audio domain and this makes me think more about what decisions I should make when I am producing or engineering my future projects.  The video goes into more than just the few items I mentioned, but the mic stand tape machine supremely impressed me.  I want whoever finds this as interesting as I did, feel free to make comments, connect with my RSS feeds, and help me spread “The Summing Amp” to many more people.  Everybody stay with me, I appreciate your patience while I hone my blog craft.  Eventually, this will be one of the most exciting, informative, and hopefully respected blogs around.  With all of your help, I know it will be…        

1 comment:

  1. It's amazing to hear and see what all went into developing the unique sound!
    The thought process and then personal opinions mixing together.
    Seeing how he recorded the tracks together hold on to one end of it himself.

    Cool Sound
    PL Vanceboro

    ReplyDelete

Pages