Saturday, November 13, 2010

Day-Lee Dose's Chris Lee talks about priorities

Last week we looked at an article written by Mr. Bob Katz, Mastering Engineer and owner of some of the greatest ears know to man.  I appreciate all of the interaction and comments you shared with me.  I learned a bunch and I am now in search of some answers about proper summing.  With all that being said, this week is a bit different.  I was able to conduct an interview with an up and coming artist about his priorities and how he sets them for success in the music business.  I know this is slightly off topic from pro audio and recording, but it is very important information I think you all should consider.  In the mid to late 90’s throughout the mid-south, a strong blues movement washed over and brought with it some great talent.   I know because I was in the middle of it all as a session and touring drummer for some of the bands.  However, like most movements there was an initial spark followed by a raging inferno of coattail riders.  Out of this movement was a band with a different take on music and business alike.  The Blues Messengers was the name of the group I am referring to.  The band later changed their name and members to finally come to rest at the name Infectious Blues.  I played for them for a few years and became very close friends with the harmonica player, Chris Lee.  Chris is one of the most underrated harp players in the country and I also learned a few things about priorities and their effects on the output of your particular group.  Chris in now the owner of his own group called Day-Lee Dose, named for the two players in the group Chris Lee and Kiel Day.  I contacted Chris about the subject and he was gracious enough to participate in my interview. 

TSA:  Chris, would you tell my audience about how you go about making the hard                                    decisions that come around in Day-Lee Dose?
CL:  Well, you never know where problems will come from so you have to be ready all the time.  The best way is to write down the possible options, then roundtable those with your members to gain perspective.  Then I can make an informed decision, or take it to an advisor to help me finish my thoughts.
TSA:  I know in the early days you were a “member” yourself, what changed when you became the owner of your own group?
CL:  When I was just “in the group” I was the one the owner came to get opinions and I thought I was just that smart . . . (laughs out loud) Now that I am the owner I know why he was asking.    
TSA:  We are talking about priorities, their effects, and how to properly make them.  What do you think is the best way to accomplish this?
CL:  I think a lot of my priority making skill comes simply from life.  I am getting close to 50 and that is a lot of hours learning how to do what and when.  So, life experience I believe is the best teacher of making priorities.  Other than that, trial and error.
TSA:  So, when you make decisions during the “staring a new album” phase, and there are seemingly a million options with only a small hand full of right combinations, how do you start?
CL:  I find it is better to simplify everything first.  I delete any problem areas to be solved at a later time.  I find out exact information like the who, what, where’s, when’s, and how’s so I know what I am working with.  I take the already finished material, my partner Keil, and our newly found info and separate everything according to importance.  Then simply go right down the list, knocking off one after the other.  Before you know it, everything is done.
TSA:  So, no magic answers or special tricks?
CL:  (laughs again very loud) NO! Nothing worthwhile is easy or short.
TSA: Very true.
TSA:  I want to ask you one more question; I always have the problem of how to prioritize people.  I know your band only has you and Kiel, but in the past you have played with large bands too.  What do you think?
CL:  People are always your only un-sure piece to the puzzle.  I have learned the half the people will do whatever it takes, the other half won’t do anything at all and if they did you would wish they hadn’t.  I know it sounds bad, but hear me out.  I think of people like dogs only in the emotional sense.  You never know when a dog will bite or attack.  He will look at you very calmly, and then chomp down.  People will be involved all the way, look you in the eyes and promise you the world.  Only a very, very few people will finish what they start, stick by you through thick and thin, and put into the project what you have put it.  I don’t count on anyone but myself to always be there, but I keep positive hope that who I am working with at that moment won’t drop the ball.
TSA:  Chris, I want to thank you for you time as I know you are very busy.  Keep us informed on any Day-Lee Dose movements or music, I know my audience would love it.
CL:  Thank you, I look forward to reading this later.  I love The Summing Amp, I think when it gets rolling you will be very happy with the outcome.  So long everybody, until next time.

I enjoyed interviewing Chris about this subject.  I hope to have him, as well as many other guests on to share their practical knowledge of the world of pro audio, music, and the entertainment industry.  I want to thank all of you who have followed The Summing Amp, I appreciate your support.  Please, if you know anyone who would find this blog interesting, or even if they wouldn’t find it interesting, pass us along.  The more followers we have, the more fun we will have.  Stay tuned for more interviews, special articles, videos, and much, much more.  Until next week . . . Cheers!  


Check out Day-Lee Dose at: www.myspace.com/dayleedose  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages